[Csaladtortenet 2] Question about GILICZE

Zsuzsanna Larsson Gilice zsuzsannagilice at gmail.com
2019. Okt. 2., Sze, 21:06:18 CEST

Dear All!

I’m trying to find info about my ancestors on my father’s side. I speak some Hungarian. I write in English though.

I spell my surname Gilice. But recently I visited the MÁV archive in Budapest were I found my grandfather’s father named GILICZE Dániel. I found him also with this spelling in E Levéltár Szabadka. After ww1 I think somehow the spelling was changed.

As I know he was born approx 1883-83. He might have lived in the part Felsö Kelebia Puszta, which is also today in Hungary. In approx 1900 he moved to Szabadka. Then he moved to Kelebija where he had bought a “dülö”. I think that means a little piece of land. In Szabadka he was registered as GILICZE Dániel in 1917 as the father of my grandfather (1917 GILICZE/Gilice István). Dániels wife was Tóth Francziska. My grandfather used Gilice later on for instance I saw a “funeral note” from 1944 where they used Gilice. But I guess I should look for GILICZE ancestors, but probably some relatives in Szabadka might be Gilice, I have no idea.

In Szabadka Levéltár they said the father of Dániel might be GILICZE Pál. But I’m not sure. I’m going to Szabadka next year. They have helped a lot!, but seems I can’t have access to anyakönyv which are not online.

I’m curious if somebody have done any research on GILICZE families and if somebody knows about the person Dániel. It doesn’t seem to be very common. I might have the names of Dániels brothers/sisters and one of them stayed in Hungary after ww1.

I can’t find GILICZE Dániel through FamilySearch. And actually this is very new to me; looking in documents of this kind!

Hope this wasn’t too long!

Kindly
Zsuzsanna Larsson Gilice

Kindest regards